Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Mrs.K. Another Course Assignment!

In Mrs. K.’s social media class this summer she was asked to discuss her chosen tools (the website and blog) and
how they help support collaboration, make accomplishing things easier than before, or how the technology now makes something more feasible vs the cost you would have had before.
Having a teacher webpage can help organize information and have it available at any time.
While we are likely to lose a sheet of paper coming home from school if the information is posted students
or parents can access it whenever they need. Forgot the address of the dance festival?
Just look it up and you will have it. This saves time and money associated with printing papers.
Having a teacher webpage can support learners to collaborate because I can post information to allow students and or professional working artists to access information from my website.
A blog or website can help give a glimpse into our classroom which is something that was difficult to do before the technology. In dance, we have the end product of a performance so you can see that something went on during
class time, but picture and stories of the process along the way help to make it real. Both a blog and website can help a prospective student find out more about the program and help alumni stay up to date with what is
happening.
I think an obstacle in social media tools in education that I face is the time to keep the different social media outlets
updated. Between teaching over 20 classes a week, choreographing musicals, attending dance performances,
putting on performances, and having a life-it can be difficult to keep up with everything. I find I go in cycles where
I updated one media system like Twitter for a while and then going on an Instagram kick.

Transferring information between different places can be difficult too. My school district uses Google, so I tend to
stick with the Google family of apps because it is easy to share information. In the dance strand, we often have a
difficult time sharing music with each other. I purchased my music from Itunes, someone else will have bought a
CD and recorded it, someone else recorded their own music. Getting all of this music information into one
storage file for a performance can be a very difficult task. I would love to know if there is an easier way to share music, especially music that has been cut specifically for a dance. This would help me overcome the obstacle of not all of the music being compatible when I need to have a playlist ready to go for performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment