Sunday, July 15, 2018

FROM MRS. K...

Through the social media class I took this summer we were asked to find out more information about different forms of social media and how to utilize them in our teaching. We were then directed to choose at least four different types of social media to use in our teaching.
The first tool I selected to use is a video conference tool-Google Hangout. I selected this tool because Livonia Public Schools uses google already and I am familiar with the platform. This should help also because every student in the district has a gmail address too. By being able to connect with people through google hangouts students could work on a dance even if not at each others house or dance space together. Because there is a video conferencing aspect to hangouts students could connect with dance artists not physically in the same space, this opens collaboration opportunities not possible before this type of resource.
CAPA is already blogging at  http://lightscapaaction.blogspot.com/ so when I was asked to create a blog it made sense to access the blog we are already working with rather than creating a new one. Students in the CAPA program are used to checking into the blog because cast lists are posted to the blog. Posting things like the cast list on the blog allow student access to information without needing to be physically in front of a cast list in the school.  The blog allows past and current students and families to stay up to date with what is happening in CAPA. This helps us to be greener too because we are not sending home paper newsletters.
Googlesites is the webpage platform I chose to work with because my school district is already connected to Google. Parents are always asking for a website and a way to access the information they might have missed in class. This website platform allows me to post important information about showtimes and assignments that all families can access through my teacher website. This allows them to search the information when it is convenient for them rather than waiting for a phone call or email to be returned from me.
The final video platform I chose to work with is Youtube. Youtube has changed the dance world and is helping artists to share their craft. One of the ways that having a Youtube channel has helped my students is by posting videos of dances so they can work on them on their own. This is huge in helping students prepare for auditions, helping a student who was absent or allowing a student to break information down at the rate they need that may not be possible in the classroom setting.



The question I have at this point in my experience with social media is how to best help a student who has already made a mistake or poor judgement on social media? When should the teacher step in if it is personal and does not relate to classwork? How should sensitive issues be discussed within the curriculum to help students truly understand the impact of their digital footprint? Knowing how to better support my students with their digital citizenship will be good for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment